Blog Archive

Monday, September 17

Community Response Trust update

Just a word to say that I'm here but having 2 blogs was proving too much, so this one has sat there for a long time. Since the last entry, we've had some of the worst flooding nationally that Britain has seen for many years. Our contingency planning charity, and Annette's flood awareness work took a back seat for the duration of the storms - largely because our original funding bid was unsuccessful - although we received many comments indicating that it was worthwhile work. We are about to re-submit a very modified funding bid that will be trimmed down to essentials - God has been so good in the past year or so - we have venues lined up to use, we have office equipment -- and we didn't write a single begging letter!

Then, two weeks ago, the local council (London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham) contacted Annette and asked if she would represent them on a Civil Contingencies forum, which she did. What I find most encouraging is that neither Annette nor myself went looking for doors to open, but at the right time, others are opening doors for us. At the heart of it all, the community is what is important -- we are not at all important; it is our ability to serve, help, encourage and prepare those around us that alone is of value. I pray only that we might retain -- and grow -- in servanthood.

I can only at this stage update this infrequently, although there are a couple of recent posts on my other blog, which is http://faithsjourney.blogspot.com Do please feel free to reply and comment on ANY post; your opinion and view will be respected, if posted with respect! I value diversity and your viewpoints are important to me!

With God's Blessings in Christ,
John R.

1 comment:

JohnT said...

I am very interested in the Community Response Trust. I am a consultant/trainer in the Civil Contingencies field and am currently researching the training and employment of volunteers in civil contingencies role. The government have been threatening to reform some form of Civil Defence Corps since 2001 to my knowledge so hopefully work such as this, focused on people rather than institutions will get a boost